Our Reading & Learning Program is located in Student Affairs because
we are housed in the Counseling Center.  This has presented several
problems for us.  We are neither physically nor organizationally tied
to academic programs/colleges, so we are constantly having to do PR
just so that students and faculty know we exist, as well as to find
out what needs exist in those places.  We have been successful in
raising our profile over the past couple of years, but there's a lot
more work to do in that area.   A second major problem is that
although we have faculty status, we are non-tenure earning.  Student
Affairs is not set up to acknowledge the differences in the
professional  needs of faculty members.  We also don't always get the
information that goes to other faculty members in academic depts.  We
would like to do research and be active in our professional
organizations, but that's all outside of what happens here, which
doesn't leave a lot of time.   We're in this netherworld where we
don't really fit anywhere.

Finally, because we are in the Counseling Center (and because Student
Affairs also operates this way), we are on an 8-5, M-F schedule.  We
know that we need to be open in the evenings and maybe Saturdays to
see students, as well as offer classes in the evenings, but the work
environment is more of a medical or business model.  We have stayed
open in the evenings but because of the records housed in the
Counseling Center and the physical environment where computer
equipment, etc. is out in the reception areas, we have to work hard
to reassure the management that security will be maintained.  The way
we need to work with students academically is different than the
structure maintained by  Student Affairs.  We try to do it anyway,
but it takes more energy than it ought to.  The good news is that
because we are so different in our approach to working with students,
no one really tells us what to do or watches over our every move, so
we have a lot of freedom.  The Counseling Center values our program
and tries hard to facilitate what we do.  The flip side is that we
really struggle to get the resources we need because those who hold
the purse strings in Student Affairs are not always tuned in to the
academic needs of students and faculty.

I am interested in hearing of others' experiences in this area.  It's
something that I've often been concerned about, but to suggest that
my program move to Academic Affairs would cause a political tidal
wave here which I am not prepared for at this time.

> Date:          Fri, 19 Nov 1999 14:21:52 -0600
> From:          "S. Franklin" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:       Academic or Student Affairs
> To:            [log in to unmask]

> --------------8B0859256EC0A4B82D90AE9E
>
> We are in the process of evaluating our location within the college
> organization, and I need the thoughts of all you experts. Please tell me
> 1) if your learning center is currently housed in the Academic or
> Student Affairs division of your college, and 2) why you agree or
> disagree with your organizational location. If you respond to me off
> list, I will gladly summarize the responses and post them to the list on
> or about 12/1. Thanks in advance!
>
> Sue Franklin
> Coordinator of College Skills
> Avila College
> Kansas City, MO
>
> --------------8B0859256EC0A4B82D90AE9E

> We are in the process of evaluating our location within the college organization,
> and I need the thoughts of all you experts. Please tell me 1) if your learning
> center is currently housed in the Academic or Student Affairs division
> of your college, <b>and</b> 2) why you agree or disagree with your organizational
> location. If you respond to me off list, I will gladly summarize the responses
> and post them to the list on or about 12/1. Thanks in advance!
>
> --------------8B0859256EC0A4B82D90AE9E--

Linda S. Evans, Ph.D.
Director, Reading & Learning Program, SVC 2124
University of South Florida
4202 E. Fowler Ave.
Tampa, Florida 33620
phone: 813-974-9308; fax: 813-974-5089