Barbara Stout wrote:
> The only thing I find a bit overboard about locking a student out of a
> class is many times people do have a legitimate reason for being late. For
> example, the babysitter didn't show up and they had to find someone else
> quickly or they were held up by an accident .

I agree.  As long as they slip in quietly and don't make a production of
coming in late, it's not the worst thing in the world.  There's also the
problem of other professors who keep going well after the time the class is
supposed to get out.  I for one try never to let class out late, but I also
rarely let it out early (a practice that goes back to my days teaching junior
high when we were expected to "teach from bell to bell").  The other problem,
as mentioned before, is watches not synchronized, and the only way I know of to
take care of that is to have synchronized clocks in every classroom of every
building.  When is the last time anyone has seen two clocks in most
academic buildings agree?  I think I've only seen two such buildings in my
life.

Daryl Stephens  <[log in to unmask]>
Assistant Professor (math)
Division of Developmental Studies
East Tennessee State University
Box 70620, Johnson City, TN 37614
Office phone (423) 439-4676   Fax:  (423) 439-7446