At Des Moines Area Community College, our Academic
Achievement Center staffed are classified as faculty, and many of
us teach classroom sections as part of our load. Center time is
scheduled on a 2-1 ratio to lecture hours. This semester, for
instance, I'm teaching two 3-credit reading courses and a 1-credit
orientation to college course; to make up my 16-credit load, I'm in
the AAC for 18 hours a week. A math colleague teaches two 4-
credit sections and works in-center for 16 hours per week. She's
the only one to have a contract officially split between the AAC and
the Sciences and Humanities department.

We're finding that this approach fosters interdepartmental
cooperation. AAC staff are routinely invited to attend the Sciences
and Humanities department's meetings. And some S and H
instructors are asking to trade one lecture class for AAC hours.
This cooperation helps us staff our writing lab and math help
programs.

Sue Wickham
DMACC