We have had this problem to a small degree.  So far, it has just been
the lab assistants (students) that we've hired who have downloaded
Instant Messenger, so that has been easily remedied.  Our lab serves
mostly the students in our Advanced Reading classes, so each student
is assigned a specific computer for a semester.  It is easy enough to
narrow down the possible students violating any of the policies that
way.  Perhaps a more open-use lab could have some way of recording
the computers that students use and monitor it that way.  Like most
things, 100% compliance is difficult.

Linda S. Evans, Ph.D.
Director, Reading & Learning Program, SVC 2124
University of South Florida
4202 E. Fowler Ave.
Tampa, Florida 33620
phone: 813-974-9308; fax: 813-974-5089