Recently several of my colleagues and I had noticed that there seems to be a
great deal more immature behavior than usual among our students this semester
--mostly talking in class and coming in late or leaving early.  At our state
developmental conference last week, I talked to instructors from several
points in the state, and they had noticed the same problems--actually having to
ask students to be quiet or leave the room if they were going to have
non-content-related conversations during class.

Is this a problem nationwide this year?  (I think this year's college freshmen
are the group that were in fourth grade the last year I taught fifth grade in
another state, and I remember that bunch being less well-behaved than most
groups.)

Daryl Stephens  <[log in to unmask]>
Assistant Professor (math)
Division of Developmental Studies
East Tennessee State University
Box 70620, Johnson City, TN 37614
Office phone (423) 439-4676   Fax:  (423) 439-7446