As an adjunct faculty member I also wish to share my opinion. it seems to me
that old fasion respect for authority is out the window, family values and
discipline are things of the past. without these elements students run amock
and become angry undisciplined unruly people. we as faculty members cannot
play parents but i will say this. if students act like that in my class, i
will get the administration involved and will have them thrown out. i refuse
to allow such students to disrupt the learning of my dedicated students. it
seems like that Pink Floyd song "we don't need no education" is having more of
an impact now than it did when it was written in 1980. I also agree that the
angry music such as rap and gothic and such also has impact, as it teaches
anger and violence. call me old fashioned and silly but if young people
listened to music like Duran Duran and watched old fashioned romantic
comedies, studied the culture of France, were a bit more conservative, stayed
way from drugs and alcohol, were a bit more spiritual, abstained from young
sex and other such behaviors and just studied, maybe they would be better
students. also if parents would be responsible in being parents instead of
doing their own thing and if people would work at the family, marriage and
basic values of love and kindness, this would positively impact on study and
the student role of their children.sorry for the sermon but i had to give my 2
cents. France

===== Original Message From Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
>I have been hearing the same complaints from instructors all semester.  One
>adult student reported that in her class ten students were so angry about
>their test grades, that they got up together and walked out of the class
>(exams, which they weren't allowed to keep, in hand).  I've met with many
>students over the last two years who get very angry at their instructors
>when they don't do well on exams, even when they haven't studied very hard.
> The tone (and the language) they use to describe instructors is troubling
>to me, especially when it's a dedicated, superb instructor who happens to
>teach a difficult class.
>
>The climate in the average classroom is often disturbing, especially in
>freshman-level classes.  A colleague just reported that one of her students
>told her "to be cool," when she asked him to leave (because he was
>sleeping); and of course he didn't leave.  In this same class, a group of
>five students insults and intimidates other students who try to
>participate.  And this is an instructor who is always well-liked,
>well-respected, and in an administrative position.  Another said that one
>student raises her voice and declares, "I'm doing it my way so just leave
>me alone," when he tries to give her advice on her writing assignments.
>
>It's a big problem all of a sudden and I suspect the new era of television
>(and computer)-as-parent is greatly responsible for our students' brash
>behavior and puzzling overconfidence & cockiness: professional athletes are
>supposed to be mean and tough and outspoken these days--they go after
>referees and coaches, they tell you how great they are; musicians make
>millions being as outrageous and irreverant as possible--they curse at us,
>they make obscene gestures, they poke fun at stereotypical parents; the
>culture of MTV promotes getting attention however you can--taking off your
>clothes, sharing intimate details of your life, acting like you're an
>adult.  And of course now you can get attention from millions by creating
>your own web page.  This makes your opinion automatically count, even
>though it may be ill-informed, skewed, or not relevant.
>
>Another factor seems to be that students today feel entitled to things
>(including acting however they feel, whenever they feel) because they have
>been living like adults for too long.  They work full time, they take care
>of brothers and sisters, they counsel emotionally-disturbed parents, they
>deal with drugs and violent crime.
>
>I try to teach students that this behavior is going to be self-destructive
>in the end.  If you get to spend a lot of time with these kids, you find
>that most of them are angry.  Most are relatively respectful one-on-one,
>especially if they think you care.
>
>Solution:  hard work, I think, for all of us at the university.  We have to
>address this problem before it gets out of control.  We have to, as
> [...]

Je pense, donc, je suis, Rene Descarte
Chacun ont deux pays et un de ils est France, Benjamin Franklin
vive la France