In a message dated 10/23/99 7:12:12 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<<1.  On-line registration:  what software is used? Does it work?
I like Blackboard.com with Course info for the backend processes. Of course,
we are not using this. We are using homemade (read kluged together) software.

2.  Courses:  what software is used?
We have homemade software, which some of us hate, so we just use web editors
for the web pages and link to pieces that we need.

Conferences either use Wildcat, an old BBS system or Webboard, OReilly's  web
conferencing software, which I DO like.

Is the same software mandatory
for all campus online courses?
No. Thanks goodness, since the inhouse software is not that great. However,
it does make it difficult on students who have different functions for
different classes. Some departments have created their own shell, so all of
their courses have the same functions.

3.  Do faculty received training for (a) creating online courses;
minimum. On their own time in the summer.

(b)legalities of online courses;
There are lots of issues here. Not quite sure what you are asking:
intellectual property? copyright? licensing?

(c) course integrity, etc.
Accreditation committee blessed the  courses, since we could demonstrate
double blind studies (f2f and online), course developed and taught by full
timers meeting the same objectives as on campus.

Quality control is up to the individual departments.

4.  Do faculty create their own courses,
Faculty create their own courses, but through the same curriculum process as
normal. Some departments have collaborated on classes, so any faculty member
can teach them. Some faculty have developed a shell, so that other faculty
can come and put "their" stuff in.

or are they provided assistance
by a campus entity?
We have digital media help by "mr. magic", but he is only one person for 150
courses, taught every quarter!

Is there a special technical     division?

Just the digital media lab.

I would like to work with a cohort of faculty and support staff.

5.  How do you handle placement testing for out-of-state students?

Informal testing available, rather like challenge exams.

6.  Are out-of-state students still charge out-of-state tuition rates? NO!

7.  How are tests handled? Informal proctoring, both for paper and pencil and
on computer with proctoring codes. Authentic testing is very useful in
distance education. Geology teacher has students actually send in rocks with
labels!  Projects and portfolios work well.

Lucy Tribble MacDonald
Online faculty since 1992 BW (before web)
Study Skills, Freshman Comp, Reading and Vocabulary