Thanks for your response.  This is a particularly sad case because in
addition to the early regular field experience, the ed. dept. set up an
independent study field experience for the explicit purpose of giving the
student a chance to experience a teacher's life and pace.  It went
reasonably well.  We helped her find a full-time aid who also served as her
driver to the school.   But now, in addition to the strenuous schedule, she
is probably not going to have the gpa to be eligible for student teaching.

The student has many auditory and verbal strengths and at one time decided
on a communications major.  Someone at home convinced her not to give up on
her dream of becoming a teacher, so she has perservered.  Now she (but not
her mother) realizes that managing a class room is not for her.  Hence the
ed dept's suggestion to do an internship in a related field and forgo
certification efforts.

My inquiry about successful placements of students with cp in public
education settings was meant to discover if there are stones we have left
unturned.

Thanks for posting to an education oriented group.

Nancy I. Smith, Director
Student Support Services
Geneva College
3200 College Avenue