Sharon Ridley wrote:

>     I remember that years ago one student with cerebral palsy did receive an associate degree in early childhood from SCC.  She ran into problems when children with whom she worked could not understand her speech, causing a major communication problem.  Needless to say, she did not continue in the field.
>    However, more recently, I have seen a few students with cerebral palsy enter the field of computers and succeed.

I think that disability law (particularly the ADA and the Rehab Act) should protect this individual's right to work in a classroom setting.  If she were "otherwise qualified" to act as a teacher (or, with a two-year degree, more likely as an aide), shouldn't a public school be obliged to provide her (the
aide) with a communicator to help her communicate clearly to her students?

Kurt Bouman
U. Pitt. Johnstown