I have also noticed that some students are less courteous and less serious in the
classroom than in previous years.  For ten years, I have included information on my
expectations about classroom decorum in my course introduction on the first day of
class.  This year, I included a new statement.  I explained that a number of students
were angry last semester because I allowed several students to disrupt the class,
which prevented them from getting the most out of the class.  I explained that I
would ask any student to leave the class if his or her behavior interfered with my
ability to teach the class or the other students' ability to learn in the class.
Since I made that statement, I have had no problems.  I think the key here is to make
it clear that the behavior is not a personal issue (aimed only toward the professor)
but rather one that  prevents other students from learning.

I deal with tardiness by taking attendance and counting attendance/participation as
ten percent of the course grade.  My syllabus states that three times being tardy
counts as one absence.  I don't have many students who show up late.  I also give
five bonus points for perfect attendance.

Diane Van Blerkom