Hi, Everyone!

My experience this year, my first at the University of Minnesota, has been
more similar to what Elvis has described.  On the first day of class I
arrived 15 minutes early for my 8:00 (yes, that's am!) and found a hallway of
waiting students (they lock the classroom doors here.)  By 7:57 there were no
seats left, and by 8:05 I realized that I had more students than I had
seats.  On that first day I complimented these highly motivated freshman
psychology students, and they have been coming early or on time ever since.
When occasionally late, they apologize.

The classroom is long and narrow.  I have trouble seeing the students in the
back.  One day while I was lecturing (an activity I try to avoid as much as
possible), a student sitting halfway to the back  raised his hand.  When I
called on him, he turned to the back of the room and  asked two students to
be quiet and told them he thought they should apologize.  Rather than
condemnation, he received kudos from his classmates.  I had not even realized
that there was a conversation buzzing back there.

My students this semester send e-mails to explain their absences, are
attentive in class, and do not ask about leaving early, etc.  A colleague
told me how impressed she was because she actually heard my students
discussing course content as they waited for me in the hall.

I raised this issue in my freshman seminar this am.  They told me about the
"horror stories" they had heard about college--teachers who locked students
out at 8 am, teachers whose intent was to flunk out as many students as they
could, etc.  They commented that this was not their own experience within the
General College--that faculty seemed genuinely concerned about them.  Could
that be part of the explanation for their mature behavior?  Initially, they
understood in advance that the expectations would be high, and they rose to
the occasion.  Then they learned that classroom participation benefitted
them, and although I am not one who locks the door, and they are now fully
aware of that, they continue to arrive early more often than not.

As you can imagine, I am enjoying my teaching immensely this semester!

And yes, for those of you who are interested, I am compiling a list of the
novels you suggested for my cultural diversity class, as well as the books
they selected.  Their oral and written reports are due next week.

Jeanne Higbee