In my opinion, you're right. This can be a problem. First, there's the issue of
the procedure change. We all have difficulty adjusting to change. You might
consider 'grandfathering' in the existing tutors you have, and just encouraging
them to take the course rather than requiring it. You can also minimize the
effects of the change by informing faculty and tutors ahead of time of the
transition to hiring tutors who have completed a course in tutor training.
Explain that many colleges and universities have such requirements, and your
goal is increased quality of tutorial assistance. Another way to help the
transition is if you can get your college to pay the tutors more than other
student jobs on campus (for, among other reasons, that they've completed a
required class before getting hired for the job). I know these problems from
personal experience as a Tutorial Program Faculty Coordinator at my college. Not
only do the library book-reshelving students get the same as my physics tutors,
but the Math Center also hires tutors and does NOT require any tutor training,
so many science majors tutor there instead of in my center, since they can get
the same pay without having to take the class. We lost tutors many years ago
when we implemented a required tutor training course, but the longer term
result, in my opinion, is better peer assistance.

Many colleges are recognizing CRLA's Tutor Certification. Tutor Training is
required for that... another 'plus' to your idea of requiring a training course
for your tutors.

Hope this helps. Dean Mancina, Professor, Golden West College