Militarism and patriotism was in its heydey in the days of WWII back in the
days when many of my acestry was protected and liberated by the Americans
during the D-Day invasion. My beloved France was saved by German occupation
and militarisation. In the United States militarism abounded and you know
what. children were better disciplined and schools were havens for learning
not violence. Militarism and patriotism is a good thing and the lack of it,
lack of morals, increase in drug use, liberal laws and judges and not allowing
teachers to discipline has resulted in violence. In France in the lycee, there
is much less violence and much more discipline and learning taking place.
Maybe our American schools need to model after our friends in France and
perhaps alittle conservatism is an order. France

>===== Original Message From Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
>Jim:
>
>I grew up in a time when militarism was MUCH more in evidence (WWII,
>Korea, where I served). Nevertheless, school, with _in loco parentis_
>still in place, was a largely non-violent environment. I could preach that
>the current situation is a result of the unfortunate (and unconscious)
>coalition of moralists and drug profiteers that prevents the passage of
>reasonable drug laws, or because courts have taken control of the
>classroom out of the hands of the teachers, or because of the enormous
>number of distractions afforded by our affluent society... In truth,
>probably all of these things exacerbate the problem. Moralizing about war
>mongering does nothing that I can perceive to point to a solution.
>
>John M. Flanigan <[log in to unmask]>     The equation is the final arbiter.
>Assistant Professor, Mathematics                    --Werner Heisenberg
>Kapi'olani Community College            The scoreboard is the final arbiter.
>4303 Diamond Head Road                              --Bill Walton
>Honolulu HI  96816                      History is the final arbiter.
>(808) 734-9371                                      --Edward Gibbon
>
>On Wed, 3 Nov 1999, James Valkenburg wrote:
>
>> Good morning all,
>>
>>         I've been mulling this string over for days now, as have many
>> others.  One important note is that our children did not invent the games
>> of violence being foisted upon them.  Neither did they invent the social
>> atmosphere of fear and loathing that precipitates the rage and violence
>> they evidence.  The blame lies squarely on the shoulders of the adults who
>> extol the virtues of militarism but deny responsibility for the violence
>> that engenders, of those who preach the value of patriotism at any cost
>> but fail to recognize the turf of the gang as an extention of that idea,
>> who have generated the most armed society ever found on the face of the
>> planet and question how the children ever got their ideas about the useful
>> of weapons to solve their problems.
>>
>> Jim

>> Jim Valkenburg    [log in to unmask]
>> Delta College
>> University Center, MI 48710-0002
>> (517) 686-9034  FAX (517) 686-8736

Je pense, donc, je suis, Rene Descarte
Chacun ont deux pays et un de ils est France, Benjamin Franklin
vive la France