Jeanne

You are right as always. You always show such great wisdom and we can always
learn from you. I agree we as instructors should never lock the doors for our
students. I have been teaching for 6 years and have never locked a door on a
student. I keep track of the students who are habitually late and I deal with
them privately but you are right, an accident or unforseen circumstance can
make students late at any time. We should all thank God that our students
arrive safely and are not like this truck driving amputee you speak of. thanks
alot
France (email me privately at [log in to unmask] and let me know how you are and
how things are going with you)

===== Original Message From Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
>--------------99A3A955B4B8A0B99F627433
>
>Andrea,
>
>I recently wrote a column for RTDE re: teaching students responsibility.  On
>the one hand, I agree with many of the points you made.  However, locking
>students out is not always the answer.  I was thinking about this last night
as
>I was taking an alternate route home because a tipped trailer truck accident
>had major highways in downtown Minneapolis, enroute to & from campus for many
>folks, tied up for hours.  This am I learned on the radio that what took so
>long was trying to remove the driver from the truck.  They finally had to
>amputate his leg on the spot.  He is currently in critical condition.  Many
>students on their way to evening classes last night were likely delayed
because
>of a situation over which they had no control, and at the time had no idea
how
>much longer they would be sitting in stopped traffic.  Should those students
>arrive, finally, to a locked door?  I know that life is not fair, but I also
>know that there have been times when I have appreciated that someone took
the
>time to hear my side before judging me.  When we lock students out, I think
we
>are making a judgment before hearing the facts.
>
>Jeanne Higbee
>
>Motyka/MathCenter wrote:

>> A faculty member here brought an end to students arriving to class late by
>> getting keys for all her classrooms and locking the door when class began.
>> I was surprised (should I have been?) when the students complained about
>> things like whose watch she was going by. One student even rattled the door
>> for a few moments and then went and got a janitor to let him into the room.
>> But all this eventually stopped. She has not had to lock a door in 2
>> semesters and has no problem with lateness anymore. She has her reputation
>> now.
>>
>> In comparison to offering rewards for behavior which should not need to be
>> rewarded (bonus points for perfect attendance, etc.), the repercussions for
>> unaccepatable behavior were stressed - if you're late, you are absent and
>> still responsible for the work. I think it sends a stronger message when
>> there is a price to be paid for wrong behavior instead of prizes awarded
>> for behavior which should have been there in the first place.
>>
>> Andrea Motyka
>>
>> Director of Math Center
>> Washington College
>> Chestertown, MD 21628
>> 410.778.7862
>
>--------------99A3A955B4B8A0B99F627433
>
>begin:vcard
>n:Higbee;Jeanne L.
>tel;fax:(612) 625-0709
>tel;work:(612) 625-8015
>x-mozilla-html:FALSE
>version:2.1
> [...]

Je pense, donc, je suis, Rene Descarte
Chacun ont deux pays et un de ils est France, Benjamin Franklin
vive la France