You are right, especially about the younger students in developmental classes.
Open enrollment colleges have more discipline problems than "grand ecoles".
That stands to reason. thanks for the wisdom. France

>===== Original Message From Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
>I've sometimes had discipline problems in my classes, but I've found
>that it varies depending on the school.  The factors that seemed to
>be most strongly related to such problems have been:
>
>     -  college in a small town rather than a big city (the students
>        seem to have less life experience with people not like themselves)
>
>     -  number of athletes in the class (who are not serious about
>        academics)
>
>     -  developmental course level (lower levels engender more resentment
>        from students and also students with poorer skills often have
>        more serious social problems)
>
>     -  age of students (I sometimes request evening classes because
>        the students are older and more serious)
>
>     -  how selective the admissions policy is (but developmental
>        students are not necessarily disruptive, especially if
>        they are a bit older and realize that without skills they
>        aren't going anywhere)
>
>While I agree that creating the right rapport with students helps
>a lot, it is sometimes true that no matter how hard you try, some
>students just resent being in that class and the most dedicated
>teachers can't reach them.  I think disruptive behavior is often
>an expression of defensiveness and fear of stupidity; knowing that
>enables me to reach some students, but not all.  The
>student also has to be willing to let the teacher in.
>
>Annette Gourgey

Je pense, donc, je suis, Rene Descarte
Chacun ont deux pays et un de ils est France, Benjamin Franklin
vive la France