Dear Friends,
Our program offers small group tutoring, walk-in tutoring for math and
physics, and learning skills workshops.  We encourage our tutors to address
learning skills topics in their small group tutoring sessions, but we know
many students need more than a glance at notetaking in their chemistry
tutoring session.  But these students are not willing to attend a one-hour
workshop on the topic.  So this semester we added academic counseling to our
list of offerings.  Tutors refer students who need additional help addressing
learning skills issues to our graduate student/academic counselor.  After an
initial individual assessment meeting, the counselor and student decide
whether the student will return weekly, bimonthly for individual appointments
and/or attend learning skills workshops open to all students.  We feel pretty
good about our model near the end of the first semester.

Could you tell me whether or not individual academic counseling (strictly
learning skills issues--people in need of personal counseling are referred to
our counseling center) is offered in your program?  If so, by whom?  How is it
evaluated?  If you would be willing to send a copy of your evaluation
instrument, please mail to:  Maureen Cronin, Mail Stop 078, University of
Nevada, Reno, Reno, NV  89557-0077.

Many thanks in advance for your time,
Maureen Cronin