Barbara Biasiolli wrote:

> . . . But my first reaction would not be to use it for admissions since it
> mainly
> measures students attitudes toward their own performances in school related
> activities (selecting main idea, motivation for college, test taking
> strategies, anxiety about school etc.).  I am not sure those attitudes
> should be held against a person trying to get into college.  Students have
> all kinds of negative, or conversely overly positive, attitudes about
> academic performance prior to coming to college.  Those attitudes can change
> radically within the first six weeks of college.  LASSIE has been very good
> for us diagnostically, but I would have a lot of reservations using it for
> admissions.
>
> Barbara

I would agree with Barbara.  Our experience with the E-LASSI is that many adult
students who are strongly motivated to succeed and who have good skills score
low because they are out-of-practice in studying.  The E-LASSI asks what they do
when they study and it's been so long (in some cases) since they've studied that
they don't know how to respond.  I don't think Dr. Claire Weinstein (one of the
creators of the E-LASSI) designed the instrument with the intent of it being
used for admissions purposes.

Gail Platt