Hello everyone!

We have a large contingent of students who come to us from
the State of New York and complain about taking our
placement exams or developmental courses because they have
already taken the Regents' exams.

Can anyone from the New York area explain these tests to
me?  Are they functional tests, honors tests, AP tests,
etc.?  Are they critical-thinking-based or knowledge-based?
Who takes them and why?  Are the scores important to the
higher education institutions in the State of New York
(particularly 4-year institutions)?  We have tried asking
our students and their parents and we get many very
different answers.

Thanks so much for your help.  Please respond off-list
unless you receive other requests to post this information.

Stefanie Hunt