You are very right,there are many changes to the Regents from the days when we
took the regents many moons ago -:) at least many moons for me-:)
That is great that part of the test is real world experiences and problem
solving. My only question is on the math. for students with neurological
disabilities that are physical but also perceptual and for whom problem
solving is not possible, is there any accommodations for these word problem
portions?
France
===== Original Message From Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
>Hi folks:
>
>Re the NYS Regents - the summary of this discussion and my research and
>experience confirm that the answer is "it depends".  There are varying levels
>of Regents exams from Math Sequential 1 (9th grade) through those that
>standardized passing of advanced level courses such as Physics and advanced
>language.
>
>The format has changed significantly over the years from primarily fact based
>multiple choice with some essays to a testing format that is supposed to
>measure the student's understanding and demonstration of this understanding
>in a practical manner.  For example, my daughter did a month long river edge
>(Hudson) cleanup and observation for 15 points maximum of her Earth Science
>Regents, and then submitted a portfolio of her year's work for additional
>credit before sitting for the formal part of the exam.  At all levels, Math
>preparation is moving toward word problems and explaining why you did
>something.  The new exams are a reflection not only of test competence but of
>the new pedagogy and are attempt at respecting diverse learning styles.
>
>By the way, we use Regents course scores in conjunction with SATs and our own
>placement exam results to determine initial course placement at this NYS
>college.
>
>Peggy Brady-Amoon
>Executive Director
>Office of Academic Services
>St. Thomas Aquinas College
>Sparkill, NY 10976-1050

Je pense, donc, je suis, Rene Descarte
Chacun ont deux pays et un de ils est France, Benjamin Franklin
vive la France