I agree to some degree but the example of Just Say No is not a good one
because that was alot more than just a slogan, it involved going into schools
and doing outreach and working with children in groups and projects about drug
abuse. Now for this issue of inner city kids, they have to do something to get
somethinhg. One cannot rest on their laurels and it is not just like Mager
they oughta wanna so to speak, it is reality. If I sat on my derriere I would
not be a college teacher pursuing a doctorate. If any one of us sat on our
derrieres we would not be the successful educational professionals we are
today. Well if innercity kids want a piece of the pie they need to work for
it. I blame their culture and families for the way they are since all they see
is welfare, drug abuse etc. We need to go into these communities and do
outreach and provide education and show role models who have made it because
they took the right classs and did the work to get there. IN my doctoral
programme Herve Varenne is one of my professors and he is from France and I
have heritage from France. MY little France cohort however, feels that the
outside needs to be fixed in society and not these innercity kids. Well I feel
that the outside sure needs fixing, but most of the fixing is within the
innercity culture. We as academics must reverence hard work, money and success
and instead of downgrading business and money. We need to teach innercity kids
that work is the key to success, not gangs. Have them use their leaderships
skills used for gangs in some community service or some work group in the
classroom. and most of all make sure they must take more classes and let's
stop encouraging remedical education, let's encourage hard work in high
school. Thanks France

===== Original Message From Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals