We also provide placement testing.  We test approximately 200 students on two different Orientation days in June (turnaround is very quick--we have to enter results that afternoon).  (We also have a number of other days with smaller groups of students, both during the summer, on Labor Day weekend, and prior to the spring semester. . . not to mention that we do this on two different campuses, separated by a 45-minute drive.)

We are responsible for the Writing Placement, so we test at 8 a.m. or 9 a.m. and begin to score immediately.  The Mathematics Dept. administers their test during the next time slot, but  our AA also helps w/their Scantron scoring.  We also administer a Learning Styles assessment in the afternoon (these results are are not needed for advisement and are tabulated over the summer).

Our Orientation Coordinator continues to push me for ideas related to distance, on-line testing.  He does not like to have this amount of time at Orientation devoted to testing.  I would appreciate hearing any ideas in regards to this type of assement procedure.

Carolyn Ehringhaus, Ph.D.
Director, Department of Learning Assistance