We, too, are in AA.  My position reports directly to the Dean of Academic Affairs.  I believe that this is very important.  The service we provide, although a service to students, is not a student service.  It is academic support, different form advising, counseling, student clubs, etc.  I have found it very valuable to be part of the academic decision-making team.  I am kept informed on all curricular changes and proposals which obviously affect how well we deliver our services.  I am also abl to suggest to the Academic Division Chairs the ramifications on our services for some of their ideas.  As a member of the team, sitting at the same table, I feel that I can more effective input in such decisions.

John

John P. Mastroni, Director
Learning Assistance Lab
Montgomery County Community College
Blue Bell, PA

>>> Elizabeth Bergman <[log in to unmask]> 11/19/99 04:26PM >>>
We are under the direction of Academic Affairs.  I am very happy with this
arrangement because we are teachers, in spite of our staff status.  We
directly support our faculty and our goal is the academic support and
retention of our students.  All decisions should be made on this basis by
an authority who clearly understands academic needs.