My Dean asked me to present information related to the same question, and I sent out a similar request to the listserv a few weeks ago.  As a result of some of my exchanges, I ended up calling Hunter Boylan.  He sent a copy of an RITE issue devoted to "Organization Patterns for Developmental Education Programs" (1988, 5, 4).  Although the article does not analyze effectiveness, the numbers he collected help to support the argument for remaining under Academic Affairs.  I also found  Jane Neurburger's recent artice in the NYCLSA journal to contain useful points in promoting this argument.

(I will add to my report some of the comments describing the disadvantages of being placed under Student Affairs--I'm glad that the issue was raised again.)

Carolyn Ehringhaus

Carolyn Ehringhaus, Ph.D.
Director, Department of Learning Assistance
University of New England
Biddeford, Maine 04005