One thing that I've found to be helpful in goal setting is to ask for some student goals and put them on the board.  They will usually come up with things like "to pass," "to be rich," "to be successful," and every once in a while they will mention a specific degree or career.

Then we discuss making "SMART" goals - an acronym for Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Timely - and change their goals so they are "smart."  Then they each write a short-term academic goal.  These are usually things like getting A's and B's in all my classes, being on time to all classes, etc.  Then we list and discuss what can get in the way of obtaining these goals and how to overcome the obstacles.  The assignment for the next class is to make a goal poster that has long-term, mid-term and short-term academic, career and personal goals.  They cut out pictures, draw, and use computer graphics to illustrate their goals and write intention statements and completion dates.  They then present their posters to the class.  We usually post them in the room for a week or two and then they take them home to hopefully post them where they will be reminded of the goals they have set.

Most students resist this at first but then realize that they have no goals and this forces them to do some serious soul searching.  It's also fun!

Barbara Fowler
Longview Community College
Lee's Summit, MO

>>> "Clinton, Linnae" <[log in to unmask]> 11/05/99 12:18PM >>>
If anyone has the time or inclination, I'd love to have a goal setting
activity to use with my Master Student class this Monday night.  I used
Kathie Wentworth's Time Management activity as an opener last week, and it
generated lots of good discussion-Thanks Kathie-I'm hoping someone has
something equally as energizing on setting goals.  If you do and you feel
like sharing, I'd sure appreciate it.    Linnae Clinton, Edison Community
College+