0100,0100,0100Times New RomanPOSITION: Learning Specialist (new position)
This position reports to the Director of the Learning Assistance Program.
INITIAL CONTRACT PERIOD: December 1, 1999 to June 30, 2000;
annually renewable twelve month contract.
1. Serve as an initial and on-going contact for students utilizing the
services of the learning assistance programs, (i.e., early warning, at-risk,
and disability students).
2. Assist in the evaluation and assessment (the learning styles) of
students and provide an intervention program; also provide hands-on
tutorial services; serve as a liaison in communication with faculty and
staff; develop a tracking system to monitor student progress.
3. Provide in-take assessment, appropriate referral, case management,
and intervention for individual students.
4. Identify academic, personal and professional needs related to
affective, psychomotor, and cognitive abilities and maintain proactive
intrusive intervention with students utilizing the services of the learning
5. Participate in academic reinstatement of dismissed students and
prescribe appropriate interventions.
6. Remain knowledgeable of laws and regulations that guide “reasonable
accommodations” for disabled students; inform appropriate faculty and
staff of changes.
7. Recruit, hire, and train student staff (i.e., tutors, note takers, readers,
proctors, etc.); supervise and make appropriate assignments; review
applications and verify eligibility for employment.
8. Meet with students as part of their prescribed needs; maintain one-to-
one relationships through effectively organized contact management and
9. Provide information on personal learning styles, associated, effective
academic/study strategies and skills via assessment, and one-to-one
10. Coordinate tutoring services as defined by the College’s tutoring
11. Coordinate supplemental instruction in targeted courses; provide
appropriate training for student staff.
12. Assist Director with maintaining system for prioritizing student
requests for tutor services.
13. Assist Director with maintaining system for identifying courses as
“retention-risk” courses and with developing appropriate interventions
in conjunction with faculty members.
14. Develop and deliver workshops and seminars related to learning
skills training for students.
15. Work collaboratively with academic advisors and serve as a resource
person for instructors.
16. Provide appropriate reports and data as needed.
17. Other duties as assigned.
MAJOR WORK QUALIFICATIONS:
Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree in a field related to adult
education, disabilities, developmental education, or college student
personnel administration preferred. A minimum of one to two years of
program development in college support services, developmental
education, expertise in assessing needs of and developing individual
educational plans for students, and a proven record in working with
faculty/staff in meeting educational needs are expected. Must be well
versed in the understanding of methodologies and techniques used in
learning. Capable of recognizing learning disabilities in order to develop
developmental applications to maximize student learning. Excellent
written and oral communication skills needed. Teaching experience and
working knowledge of computer assisted instruction desirable.
Experience in college-level advising, tutoring or teaching; familiarity with
administrative software preferred. Familiarity with a developmental
proactive approach to serving students, communication skills and
demonstrated knowledge of organizational skills a must. Proven ability
to design, implement and assess learning style programs and a
demonstrated aptitude for acquiring new skills desired.
SALARY: Commensurate with education and experience; including full
TO APPLY, SEND A LETTER OF APPLICATION AND RESUME TO:
Learning Specialist, c/o Human Resources, Lima Technical College, 4240
Campus Drive, Lima, Ohio 45804. Applications will be accepted until the
position is filled.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/ADA EMPLOYER, M/F, V/D Arial
Learning Assistance Program
Lima Technical College
Lima, OH 45804
"If you want to go places you've never been,
you must do things you've never done."